Monday, December 12, 2011

How Lovely Are Your Branches

We cut our Christmas tree down recently and my daughter and I are in love with it.  We haven't cut our own down in about eight years when she was a toddler so she doesn't even remember doing it.  Isabella actually got to pick it out this year which she was pretty excited about of course.  Here's her pick--it's some sort of fir.  As you can see, no snow however!  It is weird looking for a tree when it hasn't even snowed yet.  Still no snow in our part of Wisconsin and I'm getting a little worried because Christmas isn't the same without snow in my book.

After that last time with a real tree, we broke down and bought a pre-lit one which didn't do much for me.  It was too "perfect" looking and not real enough for my taste.  My husband loved it because it was "perfect"--you know, no branches sticking out anywhere unevenly or any "holes."   I love real trees when some branches stick way out and you can hang ornaments sort of in layers and you can see deeper inside the branches.  Does that make sense?

(Here I am excited to get this beauty home.  Of course, Shane is doing all the muscle work!)

Every year I look forward to decorating it, real or not, and rediscovering our favorite ornaments.  Through the years I've started buying silver picture frame ornaments usually from Restoration Hardware (if we get to the mall) and I frame some of my favorite pictures from the past year or so.  I especially love the ones of Isabella when she was younger. 


(Needs some presents, doesn't it?)


We also just had Isabella's school band and choir concert in which she plays flute and sings.  Our sweet tree glows behind her right before we head out.  I love sitting by the tree at night after everyone goes to bed, especially if there is still a fire burning in the fire place.  I hope you all find some peaceful and cozy moments this holiday.  I haven't had many of those moments yet because life has been pretty busy over here, but once things settle down, they should come!





6 comments:

  1. Love, love the tree and its story. Great pictures. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny. I love looking at the tree every morning when I wake up and it's still dark in the house. Glad you visited.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jill, What a beautiful tree and such lovely decorations. It looks so festive!! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and Happy Holidays! May 2012 be a creatively fulfilling and successful year for you!! Wini xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! When I was growing up, the company my Dad worked for had a farm in East Texas. Each year, we would go out and cut our tree from the land. They probably were not traditional Christmas tree types, but worked wonderfully each year. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous tree you found! No snow here yet either - just rain. But christmas lights make everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies! Putting up that tree is special every single year and it was even better getting a real one for the first time in quite a few years.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...