Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Opportunity for Creativity...even in Darkness?



I've talked about and have sung the praises of writer Patti Digh and a few of her books in past blog posts. My favorite of hers so far is Life is a Verb - it changed my way of living and looking at how we spend our days, our moments.  She's also written Creative is a Verb and I picked that up again two nights ago because I finished a novel and NEEDED to read something before bed.

I started rereading but I paid special attention to lines and phrases I had highlighted in the past.  This one really stuck out this time:  "Every single moment of your life is an opportunity for creativity. Even the darkest moments. Perhaps especially them." (p. 14).  Pretty profound as many people think only certain people are creative and I guess I typically think of making a physical piece (painting, book, floral arrangement, etc.) as expressing our creativity.  But these words make me think it's way more than that.  I've had some dark moments mainly due to health concerns and now I just got some test results that aren't so great. Friday I find out what the next step could be as I see the doctor to discuss the results.

Hmmmm...I'm wondering that along with my word of the year "faith" and this quote about dark moments being opportunities for creativity, can I handle this?  Can I handle possibly bad and scary news in a different way?  A different way than I'm used to - catastrophizing and thinking of every worst possible scenario and playing them over and over in my head.  I'm not sure how this can be an opportunity for me to use my creativity but I'm hopeful that I'll find a way.  I hope I can infuse this obstacle, this fear with faith and creativity.

I truly don't know what that will look like, but I plan to keep it in my mind in the upcoming days.  I'm wondering if anyone else actually sees creativity as a "tool" so-to-speak to help with potentially really dark and scary times in their lives.  If anyone has any ideas or examples I'd love to hear them.  I know reaching out is a start because connections between others truly helps when healing is involved.

6 comments:

  1. Sending you healing thoughts… be well my friend. Beaming in lots of Love, Cat xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cat, for your healing wishes. I really do appreciate them.

      Jill

      Delete
  2. What beautiful thoughts! Yes, I think we can use creativity and faith to help us through the dark times and turn them into forward growth. I am rooting for you, Jill! Thanks for sharing your struggles and looking forward to hearing about your experiments in creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah,

      Thanks for stopping by. Even though health obstacles really stink I do agree that I personally am using them for forward growth!. Thanks for your encouragement.

      Jill

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog today and your art is gorgeous. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Thanks for your sweet words. Yes I'm doing great!

      Jill

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...