Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Days and Summer Nights

We sure don't need a date on the calendar to tell us it's summer this year - it's been in the 90s for days in Wisconsin.  During the day I've been mostly staying inside to avoid this crazy heat.  Anyone that knows me, knows that I struggle if it's over 80 degrees.  I'm off in the summer so I feel super super lucky to spend time doing things at a different pace than the rest of the year, but then I get that nagging worry that I'm not enjoying it enough.

Every year though I tell myself I'm going to find a way to deal with the heat better and just get out and enjoy it.  Well, good intentions I guess.  I think if we had a pool or lived on a lake where I could get some relief with the water, I'd be outside much more.  Last night it cooled down a bit--probably to 80--and Shane and I did some vegetable garden weeding and then we just sat outside and enjoyed a bottle of Sangria and the night breeze.  It was really relaxing and fun just the two of us.  He works really long days so he usually doesn't want to do much at night, even just sit outside.  He wants to "relax" on the couch, but last night being outside on the patio was a great way to "ring in" the official first day of summer.   
Since I go back to work at the end of August and summer flies by I also tell myself every year that I MUST really live it up, enjoy every moment, do special things...you know relish every single moment and make them extraordinary.  A lot of pressure when I come to think of it though.  But when August hits I always seem to feel a bit disappointed that I didn't seize the day more often.  I wonder if other people feel the same way or if they just live each day and "be" not try to "do" so much.  Like am I taking away from the moment by trying so hard to do something exceptional?  Well, all that aside I do vow to spend more nights outside just enjoying the starry sky...that isn't a crazy goal at all and it's something that I love love love to do.  I just got a magazine yesterday where they had a summer "bucket list" and I'm wondering if I should put together one of those or I should just take each day as they come. 

Do you have anything you really feel you must do when summertime hits?  I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh hard to imagine that heat on a cold and rainy day in Scotland ! What I do - when it is a nice day , I down tools and get outside - but we don't usually have weather that is too hot to bear. Other summer must dos - eat strawberries and raspberries - preferably just picked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you just reminded me about going to pick our own strawberries and raspberries - I better get a move on this before they are out-of-season. Thanks for visiting today!

      Jill

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...