Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Blessings in Disguise

It's so easy for me to be grateful and count my blessings when things are going well - namely when I'm not having a flare of my lupus.  But I'm now learning and practicing that I have to be grateful even when things aren't exactly going my way.  This is when I REALLY need to count my blessings. 
Over a month ago our dishwasher leaked and ruined part of our wood floor and base cabinets...at first I was pretty upset of course because of the major inconvenience and because of the $1000 deductible we have for insurance.  Still not happy about that because I work VERY part-time.  However, I realized we've wanted new cabinets and a new wood floor for quite a while.  Of course, we wanted to get them when we could afford them and not because of water damage, but looking on the bright side, we are getting some updates to the kitchen.  A few years ago this would have sent me into so much anger and frustration, but this time, I quickly got to the mindset of "what good is coming from this?" ...Well--new cabinets and a new wood floor-yay!  Oh, and practicing acceptance and letting go of things that typically throw me in a tailspin.

"Happiness is a function of accepting what is."

This quote by Werner Erhard often helps me remember how important it is to accept things as they are, even when they aren't what I want at the time.  Typically, like the kitchen, they turn out to be blessings in disguise.  No they don't always come in the form of something physical like kitchen cabinets--they may be a new way of being or living, like enjoying the little things and realizing something that's RIGHT for us is somewhere on the horizon, even if we don't see it right away!  

I'm curious, what "bad" things have happened in your life that have turned out to be blessings in disguise?  











4 comments:

  1. It's so nice when we can see "growth" in our lives, isn't it?? So happy for you that you could see the good that came from the bad. I can look at my life and see the bad times are when I produce the most art...so good comes from them. I can't be the typical grandma...and this has bothered me...but lately I see that I can be available to my grandchildren anytime...not after work is done...etc. I have to lay and rest a lot (because of severe chronic pain)...and so all they have to do is come...and we can share an hour together. Blessings from burdens! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again BJR!

      I'm glad you're back. It is amazing how an illness or obstacle can eventually teach us to find the good in many things. Sometimes I feel like I'm not the typical mom either - I really have to limit any time in the sun which is hard because I have a 13-year-old and we have a pool. I'm sure your grandchildren love any kind of time they spend with you. Blessings to you today.

      Jill

      Delete
  2. I, too, have to limit my time in the sun to very short spells. One always hears how healthy the sun is...but not to all of us. Pacing is the number one word, isn't it?? I wish you joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I have to limit being in the sun I NEED sunny days - they really make a difference in my mood even if I'm sitting in the shade or inside - still love the sun! Just not baking in it. Have a great weekend!

      Jill

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...